Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/leftinlowell/leftinlowell.com/wp-includes/functions.php on line 330

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class WP_Dependencies in /home/leftinlowell/leftinlowell.com/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-support/wordpress-support.php(10) : runtime-created function(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 1
Left In Lowell » Blog Archive » Greater Lowell Turnout

Left In Lowell

Member of the reality-based community of progressive (not anonymous) Massachusetts blogs

2013 Candidate Questionnaire Responses!

November 10, 2008

Greater Lowell Turnout

by at 9:23 am.

For those who had been wondering and had not seen Dick Howe’s post, he has the town turnout stats. Lowell only got to 61%, while surrounding towns got into the 70s and 80s. Tsk, tsk.

2 Responses to “Greater Lowell Turnout”

  1. Eleanor Rigby Says:

    I posted something similar to this on Dick’s blog. I wonder how accurate the Lowell election commission numbers are when it comes to the number of registered voters in lowell.

    The numbers the election commission quote are roughly 52,000 registered voters.

    That is about HALF the entire population of Lowell!

    I have a hard time believing that half of the residents of this city are registered voters.

    Maybe I’m wrong about this, but it just doesn’t seen a realistic number to me.

  2. Eleanor Rigby Says:

    So I was curious and went to Wiki to see what I could find. Granted the numbers are 8 years old, but here is the age breakdown of the city:

    “…In the city the population was spread out with 26.9% under the age of 18, 11.9% from 18 to 24, 32.5% from 25 to 44, 17.9% from 45 to 64, and 10.8% who were 65 years of age or older…”

    So if 26.9% are too young to vote, that means the 52,000 voters come from the remaining 73.1% or, based on 105,000 population there are 52,000 voters registered out of 76,755 people of voting age.

    I don’t know how many of those voters would be ineligible because they are not citizens, let’s assume none unless someone has those figures.

    That would mean that only 12% of the population of Lowell this is of voting age are not registered voters?

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>

[powered by WordPress.]

If you are not on Twitter and want to follow our feed on Facebook, click "Like" for our FB page.
BadgermillCity logo


Recent Posts